Dental fillings have long been used to restore teeth after they have been treated for decay. Historically, these fillings have been made of conspicuous metal materials, such as silver amalgam. Due to advancements in dentistry, however, dentists are now able to provide their patients with strong, durable fillings that blend seamlessly into virtually any smile. With the tooth-colored fillings available at the Clearwater dental practice of Dr. John Krueger, Palm Harbor, FL, area patients can restore health and function to damaged teeth without having to compromise the aesthetics of their smiles.
Modern restorative dentistry offers conservative, cosmetically appealing solutions to oral health problems, and tooth-colored fillings represent the embodiment of this new approach to dental care. Contact our dental office today to learn more about tooth-colored fillings and our other exceptional cosmetic and restorative dentistry services.
A Simple, Effective Treatment
Your treatment will begin with Dr. Krueger removing the decayed or structurally damaged portions of the tooth. After the treated tooth has been cleaned and prepped, a composite resin material will be applied to the tooth and hardened with a curing light. Finally, Dr. Krueger will make whatever adjustments are necessary to ensuring that the filling fits in comfortably with your natural bite patterns.
The Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
Tooth-colored fillings offer many benefits over their conventional metal counterparts, including:
- No risk of allergic reaction: Although this rarely occurs, some patients develop allergic reactions to metal fillings. Much like skin allergies, these reactions can involve rashes and itchiness. Fortunately, tooth-colored fillings pose no such risk.
- Superior aesthetics: Metal fillings are conspicuous in their appearance and can detract from the beauty of your smile. Even if metal is not on the biting surface of the tooth, the fillings can give the tooth a grayish, unhealthy appearance. On the other hand, tooth-colored fillings match the shade of your enamel to blend in undetectably with your smile.
- Exceptional stability: Tooth-colored fillings are bonded directly to the tooth to ensure their stability.
- Mercury-free material: Mercury can be found in trace amounts in traditional metal fillings. Although this has not been proven to be harmful, many patients have concerns that the mercury contained in metal fillings will negatively affect their health. To help give you peace of mind, tooth-colored fillings do not contain any mercury.
- Durability: Metal fillings expand over time. This can put stress on the tooth, resulting in fractures and cracks. You do not have worry about this with tooth-colored fillings, which wear at the same rate as your tooth, making it a much more compatible solution.
Fillings vs. Dental Crowns
Tooth-colored fillings are an excellent way to restore strength to a tooth after it has been treated for a cavity. When a patient requires more of the tooth structure to be removed in instances of more extensive decay and damage, a dental crown may be a better restorative solution. Crowns are tooth-shaped restorations that completely encapsulate the visible surface area of a tooth. During your consultation with Dr. Krueger, he will determine which solution is best suited to your particular case.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
Tooth-colored fillings can provide the support you need following cavity treatment without taking away from the aesthetics of your smile. Contact Dr. Krueger and his team today to find out about our restorative dentistry services or to schedule your appointment.